How to sign up for World ID and use World App
World ID is a key component of the Worldcoin project, and World App is its critical first gateway. In order to understand how to use them, it’s first important to review what each of them is and does.
- World ID is a secure and privacy-preserving way to digitally prove that you’re a unique human. It serves as a global digital passport or identity wallet, enabling access to the new online world. Learn more about World ID here.
- World App, built and serviced by Tools for Humanity, is the first wallet built for the Worldcoin protocol. It combines the power of the Worldcoin and Ethereum protocols to give everyone a simple way to access decentralized identity and finance. Learn more about World App here.
How to download and use World App
World App is available natively on iOS and Android devices. Its small size (18MB) makes it easy to download from anywhere in the world. You can download World App by following this link.
With World App, you can prove you’re a real and unique person using World ID, claim Worldcoin grants where available*, save and send digital money and explore and use cryptocurrencies including Bitcoin and Ethereum. It’s designed by Tools for Humanity to be not only useful but easy to use—for everyone.
Both versions of the app are localized to multiple languages and support most active smartphones globally, including 98.2% of Androids and 94.5% of iPhones in use today.
World App is a simple, powerful, self-custodial wallet that offers gas-free transactions for verified World ID holders. And starting today, it's available globally.— Worldcoin (@worldcoin) May 8, 2023
Learn more ⬇️ pic.twitter.com/LZIJjCrz03
How to sign up for World ID
To sign up for your verified World ID:
- Download the World App
- Locate the nearest Worldcoin Operator in the World App
- Complete the QR code scan and verification process at an Orb with the help of a Worldcoin Operator
- Receive a unique, fully functional World ID
Because biometrics are involved, product design and implementation is held to a strict standard of privacy. Images are processed in-memory locally on the Orb and then deleted. The output is an iris code only, which is a way to numerically represent the texture of an iris. Users have the option to opt-in to back up their images. This option exists because the algorithm that computes the iris code is still evolving to make sure it can support signing up everyone. Learn more about privacy here.
It’s important to note that World ID is designed to verify your uniqueness, not your personal identity.
Once verified, you can hold your World ID on your World App (or in future wallets developed by other Worldcoin partners) and use it to seamlessly sign in to websites, mobile apps and crypto dapps. Verified World IDs also enable you to claim Worldcoin grants where available* and earn a small, free share of digital currencies through the “Learn to earn” feature in World App.
It’s also possible to get a functionally-limited World ID without signing up at an Orb using just a phone number.
Get involved and stay informed
If you’re a developer looking to build with World ID, sign up for the SDK waitlist here. You can also join the Worldcoin conversation on Twitter, Discord and Telegram, and sign up for the Worldcoin blog newsletter at the bottom of this page to stay up to date on the protocol’s latest developments.
* Worldcoin tokens are not intended to be available to individuals or companies who are residents of, or are located, incorporated or have a registered agent in, the United States or other restricted territories.