Senior Counsel, Corporate & Foundation
Berlin / Remote / San Francisco / New York — Legal
About the Company
Worldcoin is a new, collectively owned global currency that will be distributed fairly to as many people as possible. Worldcoin will launch by giving a free share to everyone on Earth. We believe that this is an essential step to accelerate the transition towards a more inclusive global economy, providing new ways for everyone to share future prosperity. We hope you’ll join us on our ambitious journey.
About the Team:
The Legal team is responsible for all of Worldcoin’s legal and government affairs globally. We partner cross-company to help advance the blockchain project, improve our products (hardware device, wallet app, and Proof of Personhood), and ensure regulatory compliance in areas such as securities, AML/CFT, consumer protection, trade, IP and labor, among others. We have earned a reputation for responsiveness, technical acumen, practicality, and integrity. Everyday, we have a high impact.
About the Opportunity:
This is a singular opportunity for any lawyer: help navigate Worldcoin’s progressive shift to community governance and decentralization. To date, efforts to develop our protocol, test product-market fit, and drive adoption have largely been initiated by Worldcoin’s corporate entities. In December 2021, however, the independent Worldcoin Foundation, headquartered in Zug, Switzerland, was created for the purpose of supporting the Worldcoin protocol’s technical development, fostering participation in the protocol, and advancing progress toward an inclusive global digital economy. Reporting to the Associate General Counsel (Corporate & Ecosystem), in this role you will support our corporate entities’ routine governance and commercial needs part of the time, and devote a substantial portion of your time to laying the groundwork for a transition of certain responsibilities to the Worldcoin Foundation. In this role, you will:
- Effectuate the transfer of certain assets and responsibilities to the independent Worldcoin Foundation, and ensure the success of that handoff by contributing appropriately to the establishment of the Foundation’s capabilities, directly or via a grants program, in matters such as:
- Promoting and educating the public on the Worldcoin protocol and ecosystem;
- Supporting research relating to the protocol;
- Issuing, receiving, selling, loaning, spending and holding digital assets;
- Incubating and facilitating community-led governance;
- Engaging partners, financial institutions, regulators, authorities and other third parties for the benefit of the ecosystem; and
- Acquiring, holding or granting trademarks, copyrights, and other intellectual property rights or licenses, and open sourcing or placing into the public domain certain intellectual property when in service of the Foundation's purpose.
- Help improve and manage our Board administration and other corporate governance activities.
Execute our fundraising efforts on the corporate side, working with some of the very best outside law firms and consultants in the digital assets space.
- Negotiate, draft and manage outside counsel on—but also improve and maintain templates, playbooks, and processes for—our wide range of commercial and technology transactions agreements, including inbound services, SaaS and other licensing arrangements, marketing matters, strategic partnership agreements, hardware sourcing, and NDAs. (Within the team, we share this load.)
- Identify and know when to seek support on key regulatory issues (e.g., securities, payments, money transmission, data protection, sanctions/export controls, AML/KYC, tax).
- Spot issues and provide practical legal advice to help support day-to-day business needs, as we grow our team and become able to specialize more.
- Proactively contribute to the Legal team‘s planning, cohesion, consistency in advice, and the general efficiency and effectiveness of the team as a whole.
- “Crypto nerd who spent several years becoming a corporate law expert, and can structure and drive a process from start to finish.”
- Must have excellent academic credentials and be a qualified lawyer in good standing with eligibility to practice in your jurisdiction (preference for Germany, Switzerland and/or the U.S.).
- 6+ years of post-law school experience working as an attorney, with roles such as BigLaw firm corporate associate and/or in-house lawyer.
- Previous experience guiding cross-border and multi-jurisdictional commercial enterprises, especially in FinTech or payments.
- Highly organized, obsessed with getting the details right, and capable of defining and executing a process start to finish.
- Excellent written communicator, able to present complex legal issues clearly and concisely, whether extemporaneously on Slack, in emails, or in memoranda and other more formal documents.
- Affinity for program management and using technology solutions to help scale our team’s processes, and comfort with GSuite applications, Microsoft Office, and other tech SaaS tools (such as SQL, Looker, Figma, Slack, AirTable, etc.).
- Demonstrated interest in blockchain technology, Web3, cryptocurrency and digital assets.
- Experience living, working, or practicing law in Switzerland, and ability to travel there periodically.
- Fluency in English is a must, and ability to speak German is a big plus.
- Positive collaborative attitude, comfort with change and a fast pace, high level of integrity, and intellectual curiosity.
Worldcoin participates in the E-Verify Program
Worldcoin is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. Worldcoin is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
Worldcoin is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.