Associate General Counsel, Corporate
New York / San Francisco / Remote / Berlin — Legal
About the Company
Worldcoin is a new, collectively owned global currency that will be distributed fairly to as many people as possible. Worldcoin will launch by giving a free share to everyone on Earth. We believe that this is an essential step to accelerate the transition towards a more inclusive global economy, providing new ways for everyone to share future prosperity. We hope you’ll join us on our ambitious journey.
About the Team:
The Legal team is responsible for all of Worldcoin’s legal and government affairs globally. We partner cross-company to help advance the blockchain project, improve our products (hardware device, wallet app, and Proof of Personhood), and ensure regulatory compliance in areas such as securities, AML/CFT, consumer protection, trade, IP and labor, among others. We have earned a reputation for responsiveness, technical acumen, practicality, and integrity. Everyday, we have a high impact.
About the Opportunity:
This is a unique role offering significant responsibility, opportunity to lead, and growth potential within a complex global Web3 initiative. Reporting to the Chief Legal Officer, the AGC will manage the project’s corporate matters and oversee the processes around commercial agreements. At the same time, the AGC will help steer Worldcoin’s progressive shift to community governance and decentralization. As a result, the role requires strength in traditional in-house corporate practice, but the ability to apply that foundation in the context of novel considerations distinct to the emerging Web3 / digital assets field: capital raising involving token instruments; service provider agreements among independent entities focused on Worldcoin, such as the Worldcoin Foundation in Switzerland; strategic partnerships with other ecosystem participants; and gradual transition of traditional corporate responsibilities to the community. We are still a small team, so expect to perform individual contributor work and managing (and building out your team). In this role, you will:
- Administer Board and other corporate governance activities, including administering certain policies, such as a Worldcoin trading plan for current and former personnel.
- Manage our fundraising efforts on the corporate side, partnering with some of the very best outside law firms and consultants in the digital assets space.
- Advise on treasury and token economics matters, insofar as they have implications for areas in your remit such as the company’s P&L, tax considerations, etc.
- Work closely with our Finance and Ecosystem teams on a variety of matters, such as treasury management, tax, insurance, liquidity, investor relations, and audit.
- Collaborate with international teams to prepare consistent, accurate messaging and materials for current and prospective investors, as well as the public who will use the digital currency.
- Oversee the negotiation, drafting and outside counsel work on—but also improve and maintain templates, playbooks, and processes for—our wide range of commercial and technology transactions agreements, including inbound services, SaaS and other licensing arrangements, marketing matters, strategic partnership agreements, hardware sourcing, and NDAs. (Within the team, we share this workload, but you will be responsible for the process itself.)
- Identify and know when to seek support on key regulatory issues (e.g., securities, payments, money transmission, data protection, sanctions/export controls, AML/KYC, tax).
- Manage our Senior Counsel (Corporate and Foundation), who will effectuate the transfer of certain responsibilities to the independent Worldcoin Foundation in Switzerland.
- Proactively contribute to the Legal team‘s planning, cohesion, consistency in advice, and the general efficiency and effectiveness of the team as a whole.
- “Practical corporate leader, systems thinker willing to roll up sleeves, excellent writer with accountant’s comfort with numbers, and crypto nerd”
- Must have excellent academic credentials and be a qualified lawyer in good standing with eligibility to practice in your jurisdiction (preference for Germany, Switzerland or the U.S.).
- 10+ years of post-law school experience working as an attorney, with roles such as BigLaw firm corporate associate and/or in-house lawyer in FinTech.
- Previous experience guiding cross-border and multi-jurisdictional commercial enterprises, especially in FinTech or payments.
- A leader capable of defining an agenda and ensuring it gets done on time and efficiently, along the way demonstrating judgment, practicality, resourcefulness, proactivity, and attention to detail.
- Excellent written communicator, able to present complex legal issues clearly and concisely, whether extemporaneously on Slack, in emails, or in memoranda and other more formal documents.
- Affinity for program management and using technology solutions to help scale our team’s processes, and comfort with GSuite applications, Microsoft Office, and other tech SaaS tools (such as SQL, Looker, Figma, Slack, AirTable, etc.).
- Demonstrated interest in blockchain technology, Web3, cryptocurrency and digital assets.
- Experience living, working, or practicing law internationally, and ability to travel to Europe periodically.
- Fluency in English a must, and ability to speak German is a big plus.
- Positive collaborative attitude, comfort with change and a fast pace, high level of integrity, and intellectual curiosity.
Worldcoin participates in the E-Verify Program
Worldcoin is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. Worldcoin is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
Worldcoin is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.