Staff Product Design Manager
San Francisco — Hardware
About the Company
Worldcoin is a new, collectively owned global currency that will be distributed fairly to as many people as possible. Worldcoin will launch by giving a free share to everyone on Earth. We believe that this is an essential step to accelerate the transition towards a more inclusive global economy, providing new ways for everyone to share future prosperity. We hope you’ll join us on our ambitious journey.
About the Team:
The Orb product team is a nascent team which is responsible to coordinate work streams across pillars of the Orb and is ultimately responsible for the Orb as a product. You will have the opportunity to work on constantly changing challenges with the Hardware, On-Device Software, Hardware, Backend and AI teams as well as collaboration with teams beyond the Orb like App, Crypto and Growth.
About the Orb:
Worldcoin's launch requires a "Proof-of-Personhood": a way to determine someone is human (not a bot) and hasn't already claimed their free share of Worldcoin. This is why we developed the Orb.
The Orb is an advanced biometric imaging device, custom-designed for Worldcoin's launch. Orbs are deployed to a global network of operators, who use the device to onboard new Worldcoin users. During this onboarding, the Orb will generate a hash of each user's iris and submit it to Worldcoin's trustless backend (built on Ethereum). For more details on how the Orb is part of Worldcoin's privacy-preserving approach to Proof-of-Personhood, see How the Launch Works.
The Orb solves a fierce combination of engineering and UX challenges, centered around image quality, security, and ease-of-use. Each device has an advanced iris imaging system, designed to work consistently across real-world lighting conditions. An additional suite of sensors feeds into an onboard fraud detection system, enabling use in unsecured environments. These systems are combined in a sleek industrial design with a simple, minimalist user interface.
About the Opportunity:
On the Orb product team in the role of the Product Design Manager, you will be responsible for the look and feel experience of the Orb in its entirety. This ranges from mechanical design over user experience of the device to the design of accessories. You will have the opportunity to lead diverse work streams and collaborate with Thomas Meyerhoffer (first employee of Jony Ive) on the industrial design and user experience side as well as Worldcoins Hardware, Manufacturing, On-Device Software and App teams.
In this role you will:
- Refine the current version of the Orb in all its details from material selection to hardware design adjustments. Develop a vision for the device together with designers and implement changes with hardware and software engineers.
- Help define the design strategy for future versions of the Orb and drive the respective implementation
- Visit Orb Operators all around the world to understand what users and Operators care about
- Optimize the user experience of the device including signup sequence and user feedback through LEDs and sounds
- Optimize packaging design and materials
- Conceptualize accessories (backpack, stand, bumper case etc.), validate them and ultimately bring them to production in cooperation with the Hardware and Manufacturing teams.
- Collaborate with engineering and management to define program requirements, set priorities, and establish scope which includes defining the roadmap and long-term strategy of the teams that you are partnering with
- Manage cross functional dependencies, risks, and changes effectively by optimizing scope, schedule, and resources accordingly
- Monitor program status and rapidly identify issues / risks. Succinctly communicate issues to relevant stakeholders and proactively collaborate to ensure timely resolution
- Attention to detail
- You enjoy mediating between designers and engineers
- You care a great deal about good design
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in an engineering or design related discipline
- Enjoy high pace environment
- Care more about outcome than process
- Enjoy solving hard problems and can turn incomplete, conflicting, or ambiguous inputs into action plans
- Experience operating autonomously and leading large-scale efforts across multiple teams and functions, with stakeholders in different disciplines across time zones
- You are able to handle projects from kick-off to ship, demonstrating critical thinking and thought leadership.
- You look around the corners to anticipate potential blockers and navigate effectively
- Experience working on hardware or hardware-related products
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, building strong relationships with technical and non-technical stakeholders and teams around the organization in order to drive alignment within the organization
- Ability to clearly articulate & read, write and speak in English (company language)
- Optimally 3+ years of relevant engineering and design experience
Worldcoin participates in the E-Verify Program
Worldcoin is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. Worldcoin is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
Worldcoin is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.